I’m a daydreamer.
I search for love stories and hunt for happily-ever-afters. The most straightforward ideas become fodder for complex novels, and with a pad of paper, a pencil, a cup of creamy coffee, and my imagination, I create characters and scribble concepts that tug at my heartstrings and make me fall in love.
And I say “my heartstrings” and “make me fall in love” because I’m a reader first and foremost.
Books are one of my first loves. I remember growing up in a house surrounded by books. My mother had them stacked everywhere, and I didn’t realize at the time how important it was to be surrounded by fantastic fiction and influential authors.
From that early age, I learned a valuable life lesson. Recreational reading is imperative. It’s more than entertainment. It’s self-care, and as if it needed a bonus, reading at home mirrors healthy habits for others to observe. Reading to children is often addressed as an essential part of their upbringing, but instilling a love of reading isn’t.
In the age of nonstop notifications and reading on phones, it’s as important for others to see us read as it is for us to relax and read with intention.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.” –Cicero
Romance readers are voracious, and if you’re like me, most of my books are on my ereader. But I need my house to breathe my passion for the written word. I’ve filled my home with packed bookshelves, overflowing piles, and kids’ scribbles propped next to my bestsellers. I’ve encouraged everyone to find a space that is theirs, where they can escape into a book.
The reading nook should be one of the most special places in your home, no matter if it’s simple and playful—my daughter has a window in a walk-in closet turned library—or a preferred couch to relax on over the weekend.
My reading nook is in a corner, in front of sheer drapes with deep navy-blue curtains. And I’ve yet to give up my nursing glider. It’s hands down the most comfortable chair I’ve ever sat in, with handy pockets on the side. Oh my. But I’ve been daydreaming of my next reading nook, and a picture on Instagram may be the closest I’ve come. Arhaus has some comfortable chairs and couches that look perfect to curl up on with a book as well.
On Valentine’s Day, I saw this sun-flooded room with the perfect window. I’m such a throw pillow and blanket sucker that my first thought was to snuggle up and read for hours. That photo also confirmed that I’m a complete sucker for blankets with tassels.
I next thought I’d love to personalize that gorgeous space as my reading nook. Well, you know me. I fell down a rabbit hole. Here’s the list I came up with for my ideal reader’s nook:
- I would add a window bench! Side note: I specifically searched for a window bench during my rabbit-hole excursion but instead stumbled upon this bookshelf that made my book lover’s heart skip several beats.
- With such a view! I would face a spectacular landscape like this one. This is a favorite place to read.
- All my favorites! My most read and loved books would be close at hand. I tend to relax with non-fiction marketing books, a bullet journal on which I can take notes, my much-loved paperback romance novels, thrillers, murder mysteries that my mom recommends, and my ereader.
- Pillows and blankets, oh my! I like layers. I recently learned there’s a comfort to the added weight of heavy blankets or layers, and I believe that! Comfort layers plus a comfort read… what a combination! This neutral tone is absolutely my comfort zone!
- Which brings me to a color palette. What? I’ve already built a bench. I can paint the walls! Most of my Pinterest boards are book- and kid-related, but I have a couple of offshoots like this one for home décor.
Writing this post reminded me of the importance of a professionally staged room. These interior design ideas are so doable! But if it weren’t for blog and social media posts, I couldn’t pull the pieces together. For example, take this outdoor patio set. I couldn’t have picked those glasses to go with that planter if you threatened to take all my books away. It would be the most relaxing place to read, but until I saw it, I had no idea.
My friends who get design don’t understand this. However I promise, when there are headlines that say “Shop The Look,” I want to kiss somebody!
Let’s Wrap Up!
Paperback Book Bundle Giveaway!
Do you have a reading nook? What would be your dream reading nook or view? Let me know in the comments below (plus bonus entry opportunities) and you might win a “blind date” with a bundle of books! Not sure what I mean? You could win a mystery box of books to add to your reading stash! I promise–you will love them!
P.S. Here are my Writer’s Retreats and Reading Nook wish lists in case you need a reason to fall down a rabbit hole too! Haha! xoxo
Reading Nook – Blind Date With a Book!
Leave a Reply